Make Pan Pizza During Quarantine
Simple Pan Pizza Recipe
With Homemade Pizza Dough
This is better than any pizza you’ll get on the streets of NYC, and you can make it right in your own home. This recipe from Basics from Babish is simple and easy. You’ll make the pizza dough the night before. The tomato sauce requires no cooking, and you can make the pizza on a baking sheet.
- 16 ounces All-Purpose Flour
- 2 1/4 tsp Active dry yeast
- Olive Oil
- 2 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1 can peeled San Marzano tomatoes
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- Dried oregano and basil
- Red pepper flakes
- Kosher Salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- Olive oil
- Pepperoni, thinly sliced (or sausage)
- Low moisture, full-fat mozzarella
- Fresh Basil
- Freshly grated parmesan, for serving
Babish includes different methods for different types of pans (he prefers cast iron), but we are giving you the baking sheet method here.
Rimmed Baking Sheet Method
1. Start by making your pizza dough. Combine flour, kosher salt, and active dry yeast in a big bowl.
2. Add room temperature water and mix with a wooden spoon until a shaggy dough forms and no dry clumps remain.
3. Generously oil a medium bowl with olive oil. Put the ball of dough into the bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let rest for 18-24 hours.
4. Once rested, turn the dough out onto a well-floured work surface.
5. Oil the baking sheet with olive oil. Place the dough in the plate and gently coax it to the edges as best as you can using your fingers.
6. Cover the pan with plastic wrap and let rest for at least one hour or until doubled in size. Now is also the time to preheat your oven to 450°F.
7. While your dough rises, make tomato sauce. Combine tomatoes, garlic cloves, oregano, basil, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper in a food processor or large cup for an immersion blender. Pulse a few times until smooth. (Optionally, add a dash of olive oil for extra flavor.)
8. Prepare your other toppings – I love to use natural casing pepperoni, thinly sliced, as well as low moisture (full fat) mozzarella and fresh basil.
9. Now that the dough is ready, top it with sauce edge to edge, then add the shredded mozzarella. Top with pepperoni and basil.
10. Bake for about 20 minutes, but start checking it around 16 minutes.
11. Top with freshly grated parmesan and let rest for at least 5 minutes so you don’t burn your mouth. Serve and enjoy!
We hope the smells and tastes of homemade pan pizza will bring comfort and joy into your home! Buon Appetito!
Your Friends at Rome Technologies
Rome was built on love and service for our customers and we continue to support you through this time.
Follow us on Social Media.